Osteoma cutis is the formation of bone in the dermis or subcutis. Depending on the context, these de novo ectopic bone lesions may be classified as primary or secondary osteoma cutis. Primary osteoma cutis is the idiopathic formation of bone. In...
Although the classic location of gouty tophi is the great toe (podagra), gouty tophi of the ear also is common and is worth including in the differential diagnosis in patients presenting with ear lesions. Other entities presenting as papules or...
Do you ever think about wearing sunscreen while you are driving? A local Siouxland dermatologist says its time to because two out of three skin cancer cases are related to driving. Skin cancer, the most common cancer diagnosis, is responsible for...
How does sunscreen prevent skin cancer? By protecting the skin from sunlight, sunscreen prevents the development of skin cancer. Skin cancers will require surgeries to treat, and may even kill you. Sunlight contains ultraviolet (UV) light, which...
Midlands Clinic, a multispecialty clinic in Dakota Dunes, has recently undergone an expansion and remodel to accommodate the addition of two physicians and a nurse practitioner to its staff.
“Midlands Clinic has been growing steadily every year, and to meet the demand of our expanding patient base, new providers have been added to the clinic,” said Clinic Administrator Stacy Harmelink, MBA. “Consequently, we had to add multiple exam and procedure rooms as well as expand our patient waiting area.”
The newest additions to the Midlands Clinic staff are Drs. Indy Chabra, dermatologist; Craig Nemechek, general surgeon; and Allie Nettleton, a nurse practitioner in endocrinology.
Dr. Keith Vollstedt, a general surgeon at Midlands Clinic P.C. in Dakota Dunes, received his recertification from the American Board of Surgery. Dr. Vollstedt has been practicing general surgery since 1992 and has a strong, professional interest in...
Dr. William A. Rizk, a general surgeon at Midlands Clinic P.C. in Dakota Dunes, received his recertification from the American Board of Surgery. His recertification is active until 2020. He received his original certification in 2000. Read the rest...
All things in moderation. That's the motto Alison Kirkpatrick, 15, uses when she talks about her tanning regimen at SunSations Tanning, 1551 Indian Hills Drive. "I'll come in twice a week for 12 minutes to maintain my tan," she explained. The...
Ever since he was a young boy, Gary Carton aspired to be a doctor. “I’ve known I wanted to be a doctor since I was seven or eight years old because they help people out and are someone everybody seemed to look up to,” said Carlton, general surgeon...
If you are of advancing age, you may be at risk of developing osteoporosis. Osteoporosis is the thinning of bone tissue and loss of bone density over time. Bone thinning renders a person more susceptible to fractures, which may be multiple, silent...
The Siouxland area is blessed with a variety of gifted primary care doctors, but when a patient’s health care needs become more specialized, the physicians and surgeons on Midlands Clinic, P.C. in Dakota Dunes have the skill and experience to pick...
When it's time for surgery, you probably don't know what questions you should ask - or even much about the person wielding the scapel. Nick Hytrek caught up with Dr. Mike Wolpert, director of trauma at Mercy Medical Center and private practice...
Midlands in the News
- Healthbeat 4: Coordinated Breast Care in Siouxland
- Healthbeat 4: Breast Reconstruction; What Patients Need to Know
- Your Health Matters: New vascular surgeon says screening key to avoiding amputations
- KMEG Healthwatch – Crohn’s disease
- KMEG Healthwatch – Colon cancer screening benefits
- KCAU Medical Monday – Dysphagia, difficulty moving food from mouth to stomach
- KTIV Healthbeat 4 – Earlier colon cancer screenings recommended at age 45
- KTIV Healthbeat 4 – Crohn’s Disease
- KMEG Healthwatch – State of the art cancer screening technology
- MEDICAL MONDAY: ‘Diverticulitis’
- Your Health Matters: Local clinic sees success with non-surgical fat treatment
- Irritable bowel syndrome and how to identify the symptoms
- The importance of screening for colon cancer
- Three cheers (and wins) for Midlands
- PROGRESS: Coordinated care for breast cancer now offered in Siouxland
- PROGRESS: Mercy Medical Center staff teaches public to control bleeding in emergency situations
- 2018 Siouxland’s Choice Awards Winners: Health & Fitness
- SculpSure offers noninvasive option for fat reduction
- FDA-approved Kybella targets chin fat
- Moisturizing key to preventing winter dry skin
- Threats to your skin abound on, in and around bodies of water
- SAY GOODBYE TO RED, ITCHY SKIN: New laser treatment gives Siouxland patients with psoriasis, vitiligo another option
- Common care products cause skin irritations
- New biologic drugs offer relief for psoriasis sufferers
- Report suggests processed & red meats increase cancer risk